Graphic Design Essentials
30 Hour Course
Next Course Begins
13 July 2020
This course will give learners a solid grounding on the fundamentals of graphic design and design disciplines incorporating concepts of brand philosophy, as well as becoming reasonably proficient in the workings of Photoshop and Illustrator software for image editing and layout. From the fundamentals of image editing and compositing, page and object layout and construction, to process and output!
What will I learn?
Learn to design Brand ID’s, posters, leaflets, brochures and more. Begin with Illustrator and learn logo construction approach, text formatting, preparation and output of layouts for leaflets and business stationery, then move on to Photoshop, and learn about image multi-layer compositing, photographic retouching and effects.
Is this for me?
This course is aimed at individuals and small to medium business operators, or employees, wishing to gain fundamental graphic design skills and an understanding of design processes and best practice implementation. These skills can be used to produce effective media and marketing content for general print and digital media purposes.
About this course
Incorporating image editing and layout using Photoshop and Illustrator.
This course will give your design skills a kick-start, from idea source through process to execution.
Pre-requisites Basic keyboard, mouse skills and computer navigation is required for all classes (Windows or Macintosh).
- Introduction to pixel based editing
- Properties and behaviours of selectors
- Colour and contrast based selections
- Blending Images
- Correcting perspective
- Customizing the Photoshop workspace
- Focal and tonal based editing
- Introduction to picture modes
- Layer composting, stacking and blending
- Pixel and text effects
- Working with the Photoshop canvas setting
- Using the clone tool to retouch imperfections
- Working with brushes
- Principles of masking style effects
- Retouching, repair and restoration
- Portrait repair techniques
- Adjusting colour and tone
- File formats
- Understanding resolution and quality
- Print preparation
- Saving your document
- Photoshop links
- Selections & Layers
- Blending Layers
- Advertising Campaign Creation
- Workspaces & keyboard shortcuts
- Working with pages
- Selection & Isolation techniques
- Object & path behaviour
- Strokes & fils for shapes
- Working with gradients in Illustrator
- Tiling & patterns
- Using smart guides
- Controlling dimensions & co-ordinates
- Applying transparency & raster photo links
- Combining Illustrator & Photoshop
- Creating clipping masks & transforming objects
- Power transformations
- Applying appearance attributes
- Graphic styles & effects
- Working with type & type effects
- Blending shapes & colours
- Swatches & live colour
- Preparing artwork for InDesign
- Tracing & live painting
- Creating a 3D object
- Prepress preparation & PDF creation
- Vector Drawing
- Business Identity Development
Upon completion of the course, you will receive a certificate stating that you have been trained at an Adobe Authorised Training Centre, the professional standard of international recognition for Adobe training partners, as well as a certificate of completion from Adobe.
The course is delivered by Adobe Certified Instructors, with a wealth of experience working and teaching in the industry.
- 30 hours of hands-on training
- Projects and exercises
- Post training 1 on 1 support
- Printed and electronic e-notes
and Portfolio Showreels